Saturday 2 October 2010

If you're gonna dance with gypsies then you'll have to dance all night

Mojo Juju & the Snake Oil Merchants

I have to say that the Bohemian culture is easily one of my favourite cultures. It is definitely my favourite culture in terms of aesthetics and probably in music too. I am a complete sucker for guys in suspenders and feathered fedoras or top hats. And I love the outfits a lot of the girls wear. There's everything from ultra-feminine, to quirky, to corsets and tutus to masculine in slacks suspenders, vests and fedoras. The diversity is amazing and the originality and individuality even more so.

As evidence for my affection for aesthetics I present my ticket for last night. It's a hit list for people to kidnap or people to mug for items of clothing...


Last night I attended The Bohemian Masquerade Ball with a friend of mine. It is up there with one of the best nights of my life. I wanted to kidnap the announcer, he was fantastic. The night consisted of a selection of bohemian bands like Mr Fibby, The Barons of Tang and the simply amazing Mojo Juju & the Snake Oil Merchants. The latter I have seen a couple of times before and they are fabulous. Their gigs get everyone involved, and may I say I don't think anyone moshes with quite as much enthusiasm and reckless abandon as the bohemians. There were also a couple of burlesque acts from Frankie Valentine and general alternative delight all around. I will definitely be attending next year, in fact I think I'll volunteer to help out.

My camera dislikes taking photos at night time or inside. Hopefully the photos from the night will go on the site soon and I can steal some of the actual event to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment