Saturday 1 May 2010

All the trees of the field will clap their hands...

Today I had a lovely day with my friend Ella. We have some great markets here that are held on the first Saturday of every month. The great thing about them is that you can only sell things that you have made yourself. It's a great source of handmade clothes, jewellery, accessories, knitted things, homewares, organic food etc.

I am now of course completely broke. I got a new cushion by the lady who made my quilt. Same fabrics and everything. I had always intended to get a couple of her cushions but I haven't been to the markets this year until now. I also got a new skirt, some stuffed owl badges, Greek almond shortbread, vegetable curry, a crocheted beanie and some small gifts for mother's day.

Today was also the cultural STOMP festival. It wasn't as good as it usually is as it got washed out quite early this morning and only a few stragglers had returned when we were there. Ella and I did however sign a petition to save some really old figs. I have already signed it before but the man said I may as well sign this one as well. Around the heart of our city (also called 'town') a lot of the streets are lined in fig trees. This of course results in cracked and raised footpaths and fig and fruit bat droppings but I see no problem with this if we are gifted with such lovely trees in return.

The council has decided that these trees are a risk and will fall on someone's head and so must be cut down. They've fenced off the street as much as they can given that it is the street that houses the main art gallery and library and erected signs and have forbidden people to park under the trees. I can see no justifiable reason why, with a little trimming and careful watching, these trees can't stay.

I will put the link to the petition here. If you stumble across this and happen to feel as I do, please sign it. I am not sure if you have to be a resident to count but what they hell, why not.

http://saveourfigs.wordpress.com/no seating or trees will whack you over the head and chase you down the street.



1 comment:

  1. I like your outfit, the tights are fun. Your hair is so incredibly long.

    ReplyDelete